The Massawa gold project is located within the Kounemba permit in eastern Senegal which geologically lies within the 150 kilometre long Mako greenstone belt.
The Mako greenstone belt comprises mafic-ultramafic and felsic volcanic rocks intruded by granitoids.
A regional crustal scale shear zone, the Main Transcurrent Shear Zone (MTZ) with a northeast-southwest trend, exploits the lithological contact between the Mako and the Dialé-Daléma supergroups and is the host structure to mineralisation at Massawa.
Randgold controls the groundholding over more than 50% of the strike extent of this very prospective belt.
Achieved in 2016
- Expanded reserves with the inclusion of the Sofia deposit
- Updated technical and financial study of combined Massawa-Sofia project
- Completed detailed ore characterisation of the Massawa deposit
- Completed bio-oxidation test work of Massawa Northern Zone
- Updated project metallurgical flowsheet
Targeted in 2017
- Expand Sofia reserves
- Complete drill out and metallurgical testwork at Massawa
- Update environmental and social impact assessments
- Advance final feasibility study and development timeline of project
- Continue exploration on the broader Kanoumba permit
Massawa Mineral Resources and Ore Reserves 2016